Changing behaviour to prevent suffering
A sensitization campaign has been implemented in order to help prevent vector born diseases in Haiti:
- With MSPP and other partnersthe MENTOR Initiative hasprinted and distributed more than 74,500 flyers/posters/brochures on malaria transmission/malaria and prevention, LLIN maintenance, malaria case management, insecticide treated plastic sheeting (ITPS), treated curtains, dengue/larvidicing and indoor residual spraying.
- The MENTOR Initiative has trained NGO staff, community based organizations, health workers and students in the prevention of vector born diseases.
- As of November 2010, more than 200,000 people have been sensitized in various vector born disease approaches.
- The MENTOR Initiative has also implemented a large scale environmental campaign to help reduce mosquito reproduction.
- Finally, 653 medical staff have received specific technical malaria and dengue fever training.
Reducing communicable diseases
The MENTOR Initiative has distributed 30 000 Long Lasting Impregnated Nets (LLIN),10 000 Impregnated curtains, and3240 Insecticide Treated Plastic Sheeting (ITPS) to community based organizations, NGOs and other partners working in Haiti.
Reinforcing health care capacity
The MENTOR Initiative hasworkedto reinforce health care capacity in order to assist with improving the local health system. As of November 2010, the MENTOR Initiative has:
- Conducted a dengue fever survey in 6 communes in and around Port au Prince
- Supportedthe Vector Born Disease working group
- Reinforced health system capacity in Rapid Test Diagnosis and microscopy.
Providing supply of medical commodities
In collaboration with AMERICARES, the MENTOR Initiative has distributed:
- almost 50 000 Rapid Diagnostic Tests
- 24 microscopes
- 3 tons of Abate